Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Can People Really Be Addicted to Food?

Can People Really Be Addicted to Food?
This is an interesting article concerning food addiction. When I started reading this my inital reaction was DUH... was there ever a doubt that food addiction was a real thing? Well aparently it was, go figure. Those of us who have had to deal with addiction of any kind would recognise it as such, no question, but now it would seem science backs us up...
Addiction is addiction, is addiction, is addiction... it really is not ever about the substance, its about that feeling you get...which is the whole reason behind addictions in the first place.

I remember this episode from a long ago show called Star Trec next Generation. It was about these glasses an a game... the whole ship got addicted to the game, because of the pleasure sensors in the brain... that is exactly what addiction is... for me it was food, and smoking... and I dabbled in a few others but was able to recognise it for what it was and make it stop before it got to bad...and as the artical states, I do come from a very long line of alcholics and enablers ( which I believe is an addiction within itself) and a drug addict or two... ( yes you can be addicted to prescription meds). I know that this is something I will have to fight my whole life... I also know as I put time and distance between me and what eve the substance is it does get a little easier, but the threat of cross addiction or transfer addiction (hello facebook) is ever present...

Now I do have some questions though...
Are some addictions better then others?
We can become addicted to TV, playing games, the internet, excercising, shopping, gambling, sex, helping, hording, and so on and so on and so on...Some of these are socially acceptable... but they can all become addictive... its about our response to what ever, and why we do it... are we still using what ever it is to numb ourselves, to escape from our emotions, to not think, to not feel.... What is it that is going to give you that rush, and why. I dont think we can seperate the why's from the addiction... The more I understand my why's the easier it becomes to get a handle on it...sometimes my whys change... sometimes it takes a little more digging to get to the why, and sometimes I just want to wallow in it for a while... but I am working very hard at being totally honest with myself and recognise what is happening when it is happening....
This is an ongoing issue... so there will be more to come

No comments:

Post a Comment